Georgia Education Codes (O.C.G.A. § 20-2-69 and O.C.G.A. § 20-2-70), provide for each local board of education to issue a high school diploma to certain veterans. Each local board of education shall issue high school diplomas to veterans who failed to receive diplomas due to an interruption of their education by service in World War II, the Korean Conflict, or the Vietnam Conflict.
Who is Eligible?
- Left high school prior to graduation to enlist in the armed forces of the United States;
- Been honorably discharged;
- To be eligible, the World War II veteran must have:
- attended a high school in Irwin County between the years of 1937 and 1946 with graduation class years of 1941-1950; and
- served in WWII between September 16, 1940, and December 31, 1946
- To be eligible, the Korean Conflict veteran must have:
- attended a high school in Irwin County between the years of 1946 and 1955 with graduation class years of 1951-1955; and
- served in Korean Conflict between June 25, 1950 and January 31, 1955
- To be eligible, the Vietnam era veteran must have:
- attended a high school in Irwin County between the years of 1960 and 1975 with graduation class years of 1964-1975; and
- served in the Vietnam era between August 5, 1964 and May 7, 1975
What documentation is required to prove eligibility?
- DD Form 214 OR
- A Certificate of Service OR
- A letter from a recognized veterans agency affirming such service
How do you apply for a diploma?
- Interested veterans should contact the Irwin County High School Counseling Office to complete a diploma application.
- Required documentation must be provided.
- Candidates possessing a high school equivalency diploma are also eligible.
For Additional Information Contact:
Irwin County High School Counseling Office
149 Chieftain Circle
Ocilla, Georgia 31774